Discrete Mathematics is the language of Computer Science. One needs to be fluent in it to work in many fields including data science, machine learning, and software engineering (it is not a coincidence that math puzzles are often used for interviews). We introduce you to this language through a fun try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: first you solve many interactive puzzles that are carefully designed specifically for this online specialization, and then we explain how to solve the puzzles, and introduce important ideas along the way. We believe that this way, you will get a deeper understanding and will better appreciate the beauty of the underlying ideas (not to mention the self-confidence that you gain if you invent these ideas on your own!). To bring your experience closer to IT applications, we incorporate programming examples, problems, and projects in the specialization.
Discrete mathematics is the basic theory of computer science. The basic knowledge of the discrete structure and the formalization of logical thinking are the basic skills of information technology students. The basic concept of discrete mathematics is an important foundation for science students to learn information courses.
This course introduces the concepts and thinking methods of the theoretical basis of computer science and information technology, introduces the basic concepts of mathematical logic, set theory, graph theory, abstract algebra, formal languages, and automata, and introduces the basic concepts of discrete mathematics and spatial information technology The connection and combination between students will cultivate students’ understanding and mastery of the basic concepts of discrete mathematics, adopt formal methods to analyze problems, and be able to consciously use logical analysis, structural hierarchy analysis, and isomorphic analogy to solve problems.
What you’ll learn
- This tutorial explains the fundamental concepts of Sets, Relations and Functions, Logic, Mathematical Induction and Recurrence Relations,and Boolean Algebra.
- من اسمها: “رياضيات متقطعة”، بمعنى انها لا تركز على مجال واحد في الرياضيات (مثلاً الهندسة الفراغية). بل تقوم بتعريفك عدد من مواضيع الرياضيات
- You will learn and develop the ability to think, read and write abstractly and Mathematically.
- You will learn tautologies, contradictions, De Morgan’s Laws in Logic, logical equivalence, and formulating quantified statements.
- You will know how to write, read and prove Mathematical statements using a variety of methods.
- You will understand the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetics, modular arithmetic, and learn how to find GCD & LCM.
- You will learn how to find equivalence relations and equivalence classes.
- You will master arithmetic and geometric sequences, and partial sums.
- You will learn the fundamentals of Set Theory including set builder notation, and set operations and properties.
- You will lear how to create truth tables and tell the falsehood and truthfulness of a compound statements.
- You will understand boolean expressions, black boxes, logical gates and digital circuits.
- You will acquire a solid foundation in functions, function composition & combination, bijective and inverse functions.
You have the ability to think logically
Who this course is for:
- Computer science students – Students of machine learning and artificial intelligence