This course will cover mergers, acquisitions & foreign currency.
We will include many example problems, both in the format of presentations and Excel worksheet problems. The Excel worksheet presentations will include a downloadable Excel workbook with at least two tabs, one with the answer, the second with a preformatted worksheet that can be completed in a step-by-step process along with the instructional videos.
We will discuss what acquisitions and mergers are and how they may be structured, including cash acquisitions and stock for stock acquisitions.
The course will discuss different business combination methods, including the concept of a tender offer.
Learners will also understand some tax implications related to acquisitions, including those that can be created from a tax loss carryover.
We will calculate the impact of a merger on earnings per share.
The course will cover foreign currency exchange rates and foreign currency transactions.
We will learn how to calculate purchases and sales involving foreign currency. Learners will also understand how to use forward contracts as a hedge to reduce risk.
Learners will understand how forward contracts are calculate. We will learn how use forward contracts for speculative purposes. We will also discuss how forward contracts can be used as a hedge to medicate risk related to foreign currency fluctuations.
What you’ll learn
- Explain what mergers & acquisitions are
- Contrast cash acquisition vs stock acquisition
- Discuss business combination methods
- Explain the concept of goodwill and how it relates to acquisitions
- Describe how a tender offer works
- Discuss how a tax loss carryover can impact an acquisition
- Calculate the impact on earnings per share of an acquisition
- Describe common foreign currency transactions
- Explain what a forward exchange contract is
- Record transactions for purchases and sales involving foreign currency
- Describe how a forward contract can be used as a hedge against currency exchange risk
An understanding of corporate finance fundamentals
Who this course is for:
- Business students
- Business professionals